Date & Time
11/16/2019 - 11/17/2019
9:30 am - 5:30 pm
The Art of Dying Institute presents:
Planning a Good Death: The Difficult Decisions
As we consciously begin to prepare for a good death, and hopefully a green disposition, there are many choices to consider – understanding the implications for each choice helps to make these difficult decisions and ensure our wishes are carried out. Join us for this very informative and thought-provoking workshop with death midwife Olivia Bareham who brings 15 years expertise supporting individuals and their families in creating conscious, peaceful transitions.
The questions addressed will include:
• Can I just stop eating and drinking when I’m ready to die? Who can help me? Is it painful?
• What happens when my organs are harvested?
• What if I have dementia? How can I ensure my wishes will be carried out?
• Are there spiritual implications for choosing Physician Aid in Dying?
• What are the legalities and logistics for having a Home Funeral?
• Can I be an organ donor and have a home funeral?
• What are the benefits of a Living Funeral?
• I want to leave a green footprint – what are the pros and cons for Green burial? Sea Burial? Bio-cremation? Recomposition?
• Can young children be involved in my after-death care and funeral? How do I talk to them about death?
• How do I choose my heath-care advocate?
This workshop is open to end-of-life caregivers, death doulas and anyone wishing to create a conscious transition and leave a green footprint.
Stories, meditations, film clips, written and group exercises support the information shared. Advance Directives will be completed in the class.
A Two-Day Workshop
Saturday – Sunday, November 16 – November 17, 2019, 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
Members $395/ Nonmembers $425
New York Open Center
Rev. Olivia Bareham is a certified Death Midwife, Home Funeral Guide and Celebrant. She holds degrees in Education and Natural Theology and Sacred Healing, and is founder of Sacred Crossings – Funeral Home and Institute for Conscious Dying in Los Angeles. The Sacred Crossings Funeral Home is operated entirely by death midwives offering natural, sacred alternatives to traditional funeral home practices. Olivia facilitates workshops and classes in Conscious Dying and a certificate doula training program, ‘The Art of Death Midwifery’ to students worldwide.