Date & Time
9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Laurel Parnell, PhD
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a powerful therapy for treating trauma-based problems. This revolutionary therapy has helped thousands recover from such traumas as war, accidents, assaults, disasters, and childhood abuse. EMDR is used to treat post-traumatic stress disorder and the psychological effects of smaller traumas that manifest as symptoms of depression, anxiety, phobias, low self-esteem, creativity blocks, and relationship difficulties. Not only does healing occur much more rapidly than in traditional therapy, but as a result of EMDR’s clearing of emotional and physical blockages, many people undergo spiritual transformation and have “beyond the ego” experiences using EMDR.
Part 3: Transforming Trauma with EMDR: Advanced Clinical Workshop and Refresher Course
In this intensive workshop, we will refresh our technique, review EMDR protocols and procedures, consult on our difficult cases, watch demonstrations, and practice EMDR in small supervised groups. Instruction will focus on using EMDR in complex cases, resource development and installation, target development and cognitive interweaves.
Topics will include:
- Working with adults abused as children
- Medical procedure trauma; grief and loss
- Recent traumas
- EMDR as a transpersonal psychotherapy
The full course will involve reviewing standard EMDR protocol and procedures, and learning a modified protocol, and when to use it, as well as the following:
- A technique for target development
- Techniques for resource development and installation
- The advanced use of interweaves
We will also learn how to:
- Work with complex cases
- Use EMDR with critical incidents, grief and loss, medical procedures, traumas, and somatic disorders
- Understand EMDR’s capacity to act as a transpersonal psychotherapy
- Successfully integrate EMDR into a clinical practice
- To meet the requirements for basic EMDR training, participants must complete Parts 1 and 2, receive 10 hours of consultation from EMDRIA-approved consultants and then complete Part 3. Part 3 may be attended 3 or more months after Parts 1 & 2 or an equivalent EMDRIA approved training.
- Required reading: Laurel Parnell’s A Therapist’s Guide to EMDR: Tools and Techniques for Successful Treatment, and Francine Shapiro’s EMDR: Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Recommended reading: Laurel Parnell’s Transforming Trauma: EMDR and EMDR in the Treatment of Adults Abused as Children
- Prior to registration, participants must submit a copy of their license in order to gain admittance to the program. Tuition includes a manual.
The following practitioners are acceptable mental health practitioners. All participants must submit their license in order to register:
Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW)
Psychiatrists MD – specialization in Psychiatry
Licensed Creative Arts Therapists (LCAT)
Licensed Mental Health Counselors (LMHC)
Licensed Psychoanalyst – licensing requirements as per the Office of the Professions
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
Registration and Fees
A 5-DAY TRAINING
Wednesday-Sunday, January 23 – 27, 2019
Wednesday-Saturday, 9:00 am – 5:30pm, Sunday, 9:00 am – 12:30 pm
$850 Member and Non-Member
This session of EMDR 3 is currently sold out. Click here for details on the next session taking place in July or
call 212.219.2527 ext. 2 to be added to a waiting list.
Online registration is not available for this program; please call to register.
To register a complaint or a concern or if you are requesting accommodations please send an email to email@example.com
New York Open Center
Laurel Parnell, PhD, is an internationally recognized clinician, consultant, EMDR trainer and author of A Therapist’s Guide to EMDR. A meditation practitioner for over 30 years, she teaches EMDR from a transpersonal perspective and maintains a practice in San Rafael, CA.