by Camilla Rees, MBA
In advance of the NY Open Center’s program on Friday, November 15th, “How to Protect Ourselves and Growing Children from Electromagnetic Fields”, I wanted to take a moment to first highlight why minimizing exposure to radiofrequency radiation from cell phones, WiFi routers and neighborhood cell towers and antennas is so very important for people interested in preserving health and vitality, and why learning to live safely with these technologies is critical for children, pregnant women and couples hoping to conceive.
Secondly, I want you to know the good news, which will hopefully inspire you to join us on November 15th—that there are steps you can take today to greatly minimize these exposures. Don’t be afraid to consider this emerging health concern, thinking you might be deprived of your coveted phones, tablets and the internet, when actually what will happen is you will become empowered to use wireless devices far more safely, and to create home environments that nurture your biology—instead of silently disregulating it, impairing both physical and cognitive function and damaging your DNA.
We all love our toys—iPads, PDAs, cell phones and the internet. But, as children’s champion Rafi Cavoukian says in his new book “#Light Web Dark Web” , the “worldwide web of computer connection has a light side and a dark side”, including the health effects and radiofrequency/microwave risks. As a society, Rafi says, we need to pay attention and to “move the risk/benefit ratio in favor of the light web”.
I think its very worthwhile looking at the challenges posed by cell phones and WiFi in this way. That is, fully acknowledging the benefits, and even the assumed benefits of these technologies, while also fully acknowledging the risks and potential risks. When we see the situation for what it is with a ‘wide angle’ lens, it is from this place of the whole picture that we will be able to find the solutions—initially for ourselves in our own personal spaces, and eventually for society through greater public health education and technological innovation.
So come with us on November 15th and join in at this multidisciplinary, solution-oriented look at this important new public health issue with leading experts. Did you know:
- Scientists report radiation exposures from cell phones, WiFi and other wireless devices impact our cognitive function, immune system, neurological system, behavior, stress response, sleep quality, fertility and reproductive system, DNA, can lead to tumors and cancers, and cause fetal and neonatal effects.
- Fetal exposures in the womb can lead to health effects after birth, such as mood and emotional problems, asthma and obesity.
- And, childhood exposures are linked to deficits in cognitive function, attention, memory, perception, learning capacity, social skills, reaction time, motor function, as well as to increased distraction, hyperactivity, fatigue and inability to focus on complex and long-term tasks.
- A Harvard MD neurologist and neuroscientist, who runs the Transcend Research Lab on autism, has recently published a summary of the strikingly similar mechanisms of dysfunction in autism and with exposures to electromagnetic fields. (M.R. Herbert, C. Sage, Autism and EMF? Plausibility of a pathophysiological link—Part I, Pathophysiology (2013)
Your cells ability to transmit and receive energy, in the form of various natural electromagnetic frequencies, is fundamental to good health, and man-made radiation with different frequencies, amplitudes, pulses and intensities, interfere with the body’s natural frequencies, disrupting physiological functioning.
Join us at the Open Center course on electromagnetic fields November 15 if you’d be interested in learning:
- How to create ‘electromagnetically clean’ home environments, starting with the most important room—your bedroom.
- How to know if wireless radiation is traveling through the walls (or ceilings or floors) from other apartments in your building, or from outside, and what can be done?
- What kind of shielding is effective against wireless communication radiation, how the effectiveness of the shielding varies with radiation frequency (vibration rate), as well as with power (note, paradoxically, some biological effects are greater at lower power levels), and, what are the risks of shielding—the unintended consequences that might effect you or your neighbors you must know about and look out for.
- Special EMF risks in newly built modern apartment building that may allow elevator shafts and even apartments to be used for telcom transmission equipment.
- Preferable locations to live in a building to minimize RF exposure risk (it’s not the penthouse), and how to assess the neighborhood and the neighbors?
- The distance from cell towers within which cancer clusters have repeatedly been found, and what you can do if you find yourself within a high-risk radius.
- Recommended best practices for electromagnetic hygiene in schools, and how to compare external radiation risks of neighborhood schools.
- What other nations are doing to minimize EMF exposures near schools.
- How government ‘safety guidelines’ for radiation exposure from cell phones do not presently consider the full range of documented health effects, or even all forms of radiation emitted.
- How to select a meter to empower yourself and your community, and where to obtain shielding supplies.
- Why mothers should not use cell phones as pacifiers.
- The direct relationship between duration of exposure, and sperm count and sperm quality, and the importance of never placing a cell phone in a pants pocket, or over the heart.
- The increased risk of brain tumors when cell phone (or portable phone) use begins as a teenager or younger, with children having 4x the risk compared to adults.
- Mental health risks to children from use of wireless devices after lights out.
- Why it is advisable to discourage media multi-tasking, especially in younger children.
- Why face-to-face communication is key to healthy emotional and social development (with social media use not being a substitute), and a potent antidote to the negative effects of online time.
- How to rebalance the body and encourage a range of positive physiological changes that can build resilience.
- How to set limits on communications technology use, and adjust your lifestyle and home environment to optimize mental and physical health, interpersonal relationships and joy!
The Open Center program November 15th will feature four highly knowledgeable experts on electromagnetic fields, including electrical engineer Larry Gust, BBEC, MBA, who is President of the Board of the International Institute for Building-Biology™ and Ecology, and one of the top EMF remediators, as well as green building consultants, in the country. Joining Larry will be cardiologist and author, Stephen Sinatra, MD, an expert in clinical ramifications of electromagnetic fields, radiation’s important impact on the heart, and, whose adult son, formerly a Wall street trader, became severely debilitated, in critical condition, from overexposure to electromagnetic fields; Martin Blank, PhD, from Columbia University, expert in DNA impacts of electromagnetic fields and author of “Overpowered” (January 2014), who together with Columbia’s Reeba Goodman, PhD, has proposed FCC safety guidelines for electromagnetic fields be based on observable DNA impacts; and myself, Camilla Rees, MBA founder of www.ElectromagneticHealth.org and Campaign for Radiation Free Schools (Facebook), co-author with Magda Havas, PhD of “Public Health SOS: The Shadow Side of the Wireless Revolution” and co-founder of the International EMF Alliance.
On a final note, I was entirely surprised, seven years ago, like you may well be today, to learn the FDA never required pre-market health testing, or post-market surveillance, for wireless communications technologies, such as cell phones, wireless routers, wireless baby monitors, wireless computers, etc. As a result, a trillion dollar wireless industry has emerged with little question about the health risks, though there exists plenty of evidence of harm from military and industrial research dating back decades.
As a citizen of an intelligent, successful country, I had assumed someone, somewhere was screening consumer products like these for their safety. But, the FCC says it relies on the safety expertise of the FDA, and that it considered opinions from the FDA in setting its safety guidelines. However, the FDA officially does not review the safety of radiation-emitting consumer products such as cell phones and PDAs before they can be sold, as it does with new drugs or medical devices. So where is the responsibility for assuring safety actually domiciled? Nobody knows. More on this at: “FCC & FDA Cell Phone Regulatory Roles Questioned”
The critical issue at this point is that people the world over are presently bathing their bodies—day in and day out—in this microwave radiation, health and behavioral consequences are occurring, and more will follow, including irreversible consequences to the DNA of our species, according to Dr. Blank. Never before has there been such a crying, widespread need for people to become educated about biology, to understand the body as an electrical entity, and to take proactive steps to protect electrical stability and health.
So please join us on November 15th at the NY Open Center. We hope to see you there and are ever so grateful for this opportunity to offer our knowledge on the EMF science, the health and clinical implications, and, most importantly, the remediation possibilities—to NYC’s leading holistic learning center, the Open Center.
To register contact the NY Open Center https://www.opencenter.org/how-to-protect-ourselves-and-growing-children-from-electromagnetic-fields-emfs/ or call (212) 219-2527 ext. 2
“Cell Phones & WiFi—Are Children, Fetuses and Fertility at Risk?”,
June 2013, program summary and audio http://electromagnetichealth.org/electromagnetic-health-blog/summary-and-audio/
Campaign for Radiation Free Schools
Institute for Building-Biology™ and Ecology
Camilla Rees, MBA, founder of ElectromagneticHealth.org, Campaign for Radiation Free Schools (Facebook), co-founder of the International EMF Alliance, and a leading U.S. health policy advocate, researcher and educator on electromagnetic fields, is co-author of Public Health SOS: The Shadow Side of the Wireless Revolution, and the landmark white paper, “Cellphones and Brain Tumors: 15 Reasons for Concern.” She speaks widely to consumer and medical audiences.