More than just a place to work, The New York Open Center is a community of people dedicated to living and exploring the holistic, socio-ecological, and spiritual values upon which it was founded. Job openings are listed below; if there are none right now, check again soon!
To inquire about employment opportunities at the New York Open Center, write us at firstname.lastname@example.org unless otherwise indicated in the individual listing. Also please find out about our volunteer program.
Founded in 1984, the Open Center is New York’s leading center for integrative learning, professional advancement, personal development, and social transformation. The Center is a vibrant community that offers hundreds of learning experiences each year in nine primary disciplines: holistic health and wellness; psychology; spiritual inquiry; bodywork, movement, & yoga; arts & creativity; professional development; sound & music; addiction & trauma recovery; and the art of dying.
This is a time of expansion for the New York Open Center as we move forward with a vision to more fully align our programs with the everyday happenings in the world. Our institutes and long-term trainings provide the foundation that lead to avenues of learning that integrate holistic practices into the mainstream, something we find is needed more and more in all facets of contemporary society.
We are seeking an experienced fundraising professional to implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that will increase the Open Center’s revenue streams and donor support. Reporting to the President and working closely with the Board, this position will be responsible for developing and managing our fundraising strategy through major and regular gift acquisitions, new foundation and corporate giving, increased Board fundraising, annual events, prospect research, and membership cultivation. The fundraising professional will be responsible for the growth of the Open Center’s comprehensive donor base to a level that will result, along with earned income, in long-term organizational sustainability.
The Fundraising Professional’s primary responsibilities include:
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual, foundation, corporate and government donors and prospects
- Write compelling proposals and reports to secure new commitment and upgrade existing donor participation
- Maintain ongoing communications with private and corporate donors to ensure maximum levels of engagement and contribution
- Assist the board of directors to become more active in fundraising by encouraging greater use of their contacts and helping with the structure of their solicitations
- Working with the board, plan and oversee fundraising events
- Manage and develop a more proactive membership cultivation and renewal process
- Oversee the research capability of the Open Center’s current audience and database to uncover those with high giving capacity
Background & Qualifications
- 5 – 10 years of experience in the nonprofit development field, with a successful history of increasing major individual, corporate, foundation and Board gifts
- Exceptional relationship-building skills and comfort in proactively and effectively building relationships with major donors and foundations
- Strong history of managing fundraising events
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Proven experience in building and/or improving the systems that lead to fundraising results
- Creative use of new media technologies to generate interest, support, and participation in the organization’s fundraising and friendraising goals
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire, coach, guide, and support staff and collaborate with colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, remain focused and flexible, meet deadlines and prioritize job responsibilities
- An authentic commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, a team player, a creative problem solver with a confident yet humble style
- The ideal candidate is committed to a donor first philosophy and understands the role money plays in our society to do good
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to email@example.com with Fundraising Professional in the subject line.
The New York Open Center’s Production Department is searching for energetic, motivated, and organized self-starters to join the staff. The Production Staff execute daily the production of multiple events including classes, presentations, performances, galas, book signings, etc.
- Set up audio visual and events equipment
- Liaise with the center’s departments to collect and disseminate events materials
- Delegate tasks to volunteers and oversee accomplishment of those tasks
- Resolve issues presented by Faculty, Presenters, and customers
- Complete tasks assigned by the Production Coordinator, Production Manager, and Faculty Liaison including but not limited to filing, copying, calling, and special projects
- At least 1 to 2 years experience in production, customer service, or the nonprofit sector
- Candidates must possess strong communication, customer service, and multi-tasking skills
- Familiarity with AV and IT equipment is preferable
Pay Rate: $15.00/hour
Benefits: Discounts on wellness sessions and long term trainings and free participation in classes and events.
Please forward cover letter and resume in pdf files to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Licensed Massage Therapist
We are searching for a licensed massage therapist, preferably with energy healing training to join our team of holistic practitioners.
- Prefer and Plus: Energy Healing Background and Training
- Must possess a valid NYS Massage Therapy license and Practitioner Liability Insurance
- At least 2+ years of professional experience
- Customer service, communicate with clients & Open Center management
- Practices principles of healing in bodywork
- This is part-time (4 to 8 hours week)
Interested candidates please e-mail your resume and your days of availability to email@example.com. Please no phone calls.
Customer Service Agent
The New York Open Center is seeking a friendly, reliable person with excellent customer service, organization, and computer skills to serve as a Customer Service Agent. This position is permanent Part-time (approximately 15-25 hours/week). From time to time, must be available to work weekends and holidays.
Customer Service Agent refers to the essential and dynamic task of serving as the “face” of New York Open Center, i.e. being the primary interface between our many diverse guests and the Open Center staff. Since customer service is the most important aspect of this position, it is crucial that the Customer service agent be able to successfully and dependably multi-task all day long as well as be consistently helpful, positive, flexible, attentive, and kind. While office and computer skills comprise the core skill set of this job, we are an “all hands on deck” operation thus we all wear many hats and need to be able to jump in where needed and help.
This position has two main posts: the Registration/Wellness Desk and the Café. It is often necessary to switch posts or go back and forth, a few times a day. Therefore flexibility, friendliness, and a willingness to do what it takes to work together as a team to get everything done are essential.
Registration/Wellness Desk Duties may include:
- Managing registration in person, over the phone, and via e-mail
- Assisting customers with questions regarding services and products
- Achieving proficiency with our registration database system
- Assisting in supervising and training volunteers; scheduling bodywork sessions, setting up bodywork rooms, collecting payments.
Cafe post responsiblities may include:
- Setting-up/presentation of food and drink displays
- Maintaining cleanliness
- Restocking of food products
- Maintaining freshness of food
- Preparing and serving sandwiches
- Performing opening and closing duties, including receiving food deliveries and other duties assigned by management
- Cafe experience is a plus
Pay Rate: $15.00/hour
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
About the NY Open Center
With over 20,000 people participating in our programs each year, the New York Open Center is recognized as New York’s City’s leading center of holistic learning. We present hundreds of workshops, conferences, professional trainings programs, lectures, on-going classes drawing from many disciplines and traditions. Subjects include meditation, complimentary medicine, bodywork, society and ecology, creative arts, psychology and personal growth.