Date & Time
7:45 pm - 9:45 pm
Led by Peeka Trenkle, with Drew DiVittorio, Dipl (NCCAOM), and David Winston
Herbal medicine has been in use for thousands of years, with each culture developing its own system based on the herbs of its bio-region. In this in-depth training, we delve into the art and science of herbalism for nourishment and healing, recovering the wisdom and empowerment that has been lost over the generations. This comprehensive overview of Western herbs for medicinal and nutritional use covers:
- Herbal treatment programs for illnesses relating to each of the body’s systems.
- The history of Western herbalism, and a look at herb use in other cultures
- How to prevent illness, promote vitality and maintain balance in the body through the use of herbs.
- How the principles of Chinese and Cherokee medicine apply to herbalism.
- The legal considerations of being an herbalist.
Our hands-on study will include an “Herbal Pharmacy” session in which we make our own salves, extracts, balms, teas, syrups and food preparations, and a field trip to Stone Mountain Farm in the Hudson Valley, where we’ll identify and experience a variety of herbs and wild foods.
Note: A certificate of completion will be given upon completion of course requirements.
Note: There will be a $50 materials fee for course manual, payable to the instructor at the first session.
Monday sessions (all led by Peeka Trenkle) will be from 7:45–9:45pm. Saturday & Sunday workshops will be from 10am–5:30pm. The field trip will be from 11am–4:30pm.
Below is a list of individual class Modules.
- A Brief History of Western Herbalism
– Monday, April 4
- Preparations & Dosages
– Monday, April 11
- The Digestive System and Liver
– Monday, April 18
- Herbal Pharmacy: Making Herbal Products A one-day hands-on workshop with Peeka Trenkle in making extracts, salves, balms, poultices, etc. There will be an $8 materials fee.
–Sunday, April 24
- The Respiratory System
– Monday, April 25
- The Nervous System and Brain
– Monday, May 2
- The Endocrine System
–Monday, May 9
- The Circulatory System: Blood and Lymph
– Monday, May 16
- Basic Chinese Diagnostic Techniques with Drew DiVittorio An introduction to Chinese diagnostic techniques including pulse taking, tongue and complexion exams, and reading symptoms & signs
– Saturday, May 21
- The Skin
– Monday, May 23
- Field Trip with Peeka Trenkle- We will identify, taste and study herbs and wild foods at Stephen and Robin Larsen’s Stone Mountain Farm in the mid-Hudson Valley
– Sunday, June 5
- Women’s Reproductive System
– Monday, June 6
- Men’s Reproductive System
– Monday, June 13
- Seasonal Healing: Herbal Therapeutics and the Cycle of the Year
– Monday, June 20
- Herbal Treatment and Management of Chronic Illnesses: Eastern and Western Approaches
A one-day workshop with Drew DiVittorio
– Sunday, June 26
- Musculo-Skeletal System
– Monday, June 27
- Herbal Energetics David Winston will discuss simple techniques for matching herbal qualities with the energetics of an individual’s symptoms, using concepts from Chinese and Cherokee medical systems.
– Sunday, July 10 ends 5pm
- Urinary Tract and Kidneys
– Monday, July, 11
- Materia Medica/Herbal Medicine Chest
– Monday, July 18
- Case Taking Skills I
– Monday, July 25
- Case Taking Skills II
– Monday, August 1
REGISTRATION AND FEES
A 4-MONTH TRAINING
Monday sessions are 7:45–9:45pm, Saturday & Sunday
workshops are 10am–5:30pm.
April 4, 11, 18, 24 & 25, May 2, 9, 16, 21 & 23,
June 6, 13, 20, 26 & 27, July 10, 11, 18 & 25, August 1,
plus field trip on June 5, 11am–4:30pm.
$1,500 (No Member Discount) • 16WHG25LA
$1,600 Payment Plan • 16WHG25LB
A non-refundable deposit of $400 is due upon registration. Three further payments of $400 are due 4/25, 5/23 & 6/20.
Automatic credit card payments only. To register by payment plan, call 212-219-2527, Ext. 2.
Note: A certificate of completion will be awarded upon fulfillment of course requirements.
Note: There is a $50 materials fee, payable to the instructor at the first session.
If you are interested in receiving more information about this training sign-up for the Green Medicine email list.
New York Open Center