More than just a place to work, The New York Open Center is a community of people dedicated to living and exploring the holistic, socio-ecological, and spiritual values upon which it was founded in 1984. Job openings are listed below; if there are none right now, check again soon!
To inquire about employment opportunities at the New York Open Center, write us at firstname.lastname@example.org unless otherwise indicated in the individual listing. Also please find out about our volunteer program.
More than just a place to work, The New York Open Center is a community of people dedicated to living and exploring the holistic, socio-ecological, and spiritual values upon which it was founded in 1984.
Director of Development
The New York Open Center (www.opencenter.org), a nonprofit organization now in its 31st year, offers the most comprehensive range of programs in holistic learning in the greater New York area and is the largest urban holistic learning center in the world. Through three catalogs annually, it produces classes, workshops, professional trainings, conferences in New York and abroad and online courses. A division of the Open Center … the School of Holistic and Professional Learning … is a licensed career school with the New York State Department of Education.
This is a time of expansion for the Open Center. New leadership has joined the founding team to transition into a new era with tremendous energy.
We are seeking a highly experienced fund raising generalist to maintain existing gifts while aggressively building new sources of contributed income. It’s an exciting moment for the Open Center and all those involved.
Through major and regular gift acquisitions, new foundation and corporate giving, increased Board fundraising, annual events and prospect research, the Director of Development will be responsible for growing the Open Center’s comprehensive donor base to a level that will result, along with earned income, in long term organizational sustainability.
- Develop strategies for major donor prospects by assessing philanthropic intent, interest in supporting the Open Center, and propensity to give.
- Write compelling proposals and reports to secure new commitments and upgrade existing donor participation.
- Communicate and meet regularly with donors and prospects to ensure maximal levels of engagement and contribution.
- Work with the Board of Directors to encourage greater use of their contacts and help structure their solicitations.
- Working with the Board, support a major annual donor dinner and intimate cultivation events.
- Usher in and oversee the research capability to analyze the Open Center’s current audience and database to uncover those with high giving capacity.
Background & Qualifications
- 5-10 years of experience in the nonprofit development field, with a successful history of increasing major individual, corporate, foundation and Board gifts.
- A genuine interest in holistic learning and an appreciation of the Open Center’s three-decades-long role at the forefront of holistic ideas, classes and teachers.
- Highly sophisticated interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish relationships with high net worth individuals and foundation and corporate program officers.
- Results-oriented, eye-on-the-ball approach, with the ability to be successful in both independent and collaborative efforts within a growing organization.
- The capacity to structure and direct the work of professionals and volunteers who participate in annual fund raising.
- The ability to manage fund raising events.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send response and resume to: email@example.com.
The New York Open Center’s Production Department is searching for energetic, motivated, and organized self-starters to join the staff. The Production Staff execute daily the production of multiple events including classes, presentations, performances, galas, book signings, etc.
- Set up audio visual and events equipment
- Liaise with the center’s departments to collect and disseminate events materials
- Delegate tasks to volunteers and oversee accomplishment of those tasks
- Resolve issues presented by Faculty, Presenters, and customers
- Complete tasks assigned by the Production Coordinator, Production Manager, and Faculty Liaison including but not limited to filing, copying, calling, and special projects
- At least 1 to 2 years experience in production, customer service, or the nonprofit sector
- Candidates must possess strong communication, customer service, and multi-tasking skills
- Familiarity with AV and IT equipment is preferable
Pay Rate: $10.00/hour
Benefits: Discounts on wellness sessions and long term trainings and free participation in classes and events.
Please forward cover letter and resume in pdf files to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Licensed Massage Therapist
We are searching for a licensed massage therapist, preferably with energy healing training to join our team of holistic practitioners.
- Prefer and Plus: Energy Healing Background and Training
- Must possess a valid NYS Massage Therapy license and Practitioner Liability Insurance
- At least 2+ years of professional experience
- Customer service, communicate with clients & Open Center management
- Practices principles of healing in bodywork
- This is part-time (4 to 8 hours week)
Interested candidates please e-mail your resume and your days of availability to email@example.com. Please no phone calls.
Customer Service Agent
The New York Open Center is seeking a friendly, reliable person with excellent customer service, organization, and computer skills to serve as a Customer Service Agent. This position is permanent Part-time (approximately 15-25 hours/week). From time to time, must be available to work weekends and holidays.
Customer Service Agent refers to the essential and dynamic task of serving as the “face” of New York Open Center, i.e. being the primary interface between our many diverse guests and the Open Center staff. Since customer service is the most important aspect of this position, it is crucial that the Customer service agent be able to successfully and dependably multi-task all day long as well as be consistently helpful, positive, flexible, attentive, and kind. While office and computer skills comprise the core skill set of this job, we are an “all hands on deck” operation thus we all wear many hats and need to be able to jump in where needed and help.
This position has two main posts: the Registration/Wellness Desk and the Café. It is often necessary to switch posts or go back and forth, a few times a day. Therefore flexibility, friendliness, and a willingness to do what it takes to work together as a team to get everything done are essential.
Registration/Wellness Desk Duties may include:
- Managing registration in person, over the phone, and via e-mail
- Assisting customers with questions regarding services and products
- Achieving proficiency with our registration database system
- Assisting in supervising and training volunteers; scheduling bodywork sessions, setting up bodywork rooms, collecting payments.
Cafe post responsiblities may include:
- Setting-up/presentation of food and drink displays
- Maintaining cleanliness
- Restocking of food products
- Maintaining freshness of food
- Preparing and serving sandwiches
- Performing opening and closing duties, including receiving food deliveries and other duties assigned by management
- Cafe experience is a plus
Pay Rate: $10.00/hour
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
About the NY Open Center
With over 20,000 people participating in our programs each year, the New York Open Center is recognized as New York’s City’s leading center of holistic learning. We present hundreds of workshops, conferences, professional trainings programs, lectures, on-going classes drawing from many disciplines and traditions. Subjects include meditation, complimentary medicine, bodywork, society and ecology, creative arts, psychology and personal growth.